Rehabilitate.

The Washington School is located in a residential area, just blocks from downtown Washington Court House. The original building, constructed in 1913, stands three stories tall including the ground floor. This Beaux Arts Classical building demonstrates strong architectural character with most of its original architectural features extant and in remarkable condition. This structure is one of the last remaining historic high school buildings in the State of Ohio.

Washington School

Historic

Washington School

After

This project incorporated 42 apartments into the historic school while addressing numerous rehabilitation tasks. These tasks included research to determine the configuration of the original windows, restoring the white oak classroom doors for use as entries to the units, masonry cleaning and pointing, roof and stone repair, all new HVAC systems, restoring coping stones, providing an historically appropriate interior finishes scheme, and complying with Enterprise Green Communities requirements for senior housing.

Chambers Murphy & Burge provided full architectural services for this adaptive reuse project on behalf of Woda Group, LLC, the building’s developer. CMB nominated the building for listing in the National Register and guided the Owners through the federal and state historic tax credit process.

Services Provided:

  • Full Architectural Services
  • Adaptive Reuse
  • Federal and State Rehabilitation Tax Credits